Data Protection and Privacy Statement
ICS is committed to safeguarding your privacy. This statement explains how we will collect, use and disclose information. It applies to all information gathering, including online. This statement may change from time to time so please check this page periodically.
Personal information and sensitive personal information
Personal information means information that identifies you as an individual, such as:
- personal details
- family details
- lifestyle and social circumstances
- financial details
- education and employment
- visual images, personal appearance and behaviour
Sensitive personal information means information about:
- physical or mental health details
- racial or ethnic origin
- political opinions
- religious or other beliefs of a similar nature
- offences and alleged offences
- criminal proceedings, outcomes and sentences
- trade union membership
How is information collected?
We may collect personal information and/or sensitive personal information from you in a variety of ways, including when you submit one of our online forms, for example, our:
- volunteer applications
- volunteer event registrations
- recruitment information such as interviews and assessment notes
- fundraising events registrations
- donation pledges
- fundraising forms
- newsletter registrations
- requests for information
- volunteer feedback forms
We may also collect personal information and/or sensitive personal information when you download resources from our website, complete a survey or if you contact us by email.
In addition, we use software to identify which areas of our site are visited most frequently. This helps us to understand how our website is being used so that we can make it more useful for visitors.
This information is collected automatically. It does not contain any personal information or sensitive personal information, so browsing is anonymous.
Who collects the digital information?
When you are on the ICS website and are required to submit personal information, this is collected by VSO who hold the ICS contract.
How is information collected used?
Information collected may be used to:
- respond to your request for information
- provide you with newsletters or details of events
- process your orders and applications
- engage you as a volunteer and make any appropriate arrangements
- process your donation pledges
- keep a record of your contact details
- to promote ICS, in the event photographs and video footage are submitted
- contact you with current and future information about our work, events, campaigns and activities, or any other features of ICS described on the website
- for our business purposes, such as data analysis, audits, fraud monitoring and prevention, enhancing, improving or modifying our services, identifying usage trends, determining the effectiveness of promotional campaigns and operating and expanding our business activities
- as we believe to be necessary or appropriate: (1) under applicable law, including laws outside your country of residence; (2) to comply with legal process; (3) to respond to requests from public and government authorities including public and government authorities outside your country of residence; (4) to enforce our terms and conditions; (5) to protect our operations; (f) to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property and/or that of you or others; and (6) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
Who the information may be shared with
We sometimes need to share the personal information we process with the individual themselves and also with other organisations. Where this is necessary we are required to comply with all aspects of the Data Protection Act. This means that it will be:
- processed fairly and lawfully
- processed for limited purposes and in an appropriate way
- adequate, relevant and not excessive for the purpose
- not kept longer than necessary for the purpose.
- processed in line with data subjects' rights
- not transferred to people or organisations situated in countries without adequate protection
What follows is a description of the types of organisations we may need to share some of the personal information we process with for one or more reasons.
Where necessary or required we share information with:
- family, associates or representatives of the person whose personal data we are processing
- third party service providers
- current, past and prospective employers
- healthcare, social and welfare organisations
- providers of goods and services
- educator and examining bodies
- financial organisations
- employment and recruitment agencies
- survey and research organisations
- business associates and professional advisers
- police forces
- local and central government
- other companies in the same group as the data controller
- other voluntary and charitable organisations
How secure is the information collected?
The security of information collected by ICS is of utmost importance to ICS. We seek to use reasonable organisational, technical and administrative measures to protect personal information, sensitive information and any other information collected by us. Unfortunately, no data transmission or storage system can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. If you have any reason to believe that any information we hold is no longer secure, please contact us immediately.
It may sometimes be necessary to transfer personal information overseas. When this is needed information may be transferred to countries or territories around the world. Any transfers made will be in full compliance with all aspects of the data protection act.
Opting out of communications from us
You have the opportunity to opt out of receiving communications from us at the point where we collect information from you and this is usually done by a tick box. If you currently receive communications and would like these to stop, please contact the Supporter Care team on the details below.
How do I find out more?
If you wish to make a request for information that we hold about you, wish to make a complaint or have any other requests or queries, please contact the Supporter Care team on the details below.
A fee is payable by you for the provision of information in relation to a subject access request. We will keep a record of all data subject access requests made by data subjects and any response issued.
You can contact us at any time by writing to:
Supporter care, International Citizen Service, VSO International, 100 London Road, Kingston upon Thames, KT2 6QJ.
If you would like to stop receiving communications from us, please contact our supporter care team on:
Telephone: +44 (0)20 8780 7500