Skip to main content

Cost and funding

The UK Government’s Department for International Development (DFID) funds 90% of the ICS programme. The other 10% is funded by volunteer fundraising.

You don’t have to pay for ICS, but volunteer fundraising makes up 10% of our funding. Your fundraising shows commitment, enables you to learn more about ICS and helps you develop important skills.


After having a chat with one of our applications team you'll be given a fundraising target, usually a minimum of £800. You’ll be supported by one of our experienced fundraising team who have loads of good advice and encouragement to help you reach your target. Find out more about fundraising.

What is included?

As well as structured training and support, ICS volunteers receive their visas, flights, travel and medical insurance, medication, vaccines, food and accommodation and a small allowance during their placement.

What's the catch?

Unlike some programmes where volunteers pay for a part holiday/part volunteering experience, ICS is funded because the UK Government believes in the positive impact of young people and wants to offer them an opportunity to change their lives and the lives of others.

In return, all volunteers will be expected to work hard, challenge themselves, learn and develop.

Seven quality principles

Different ICS agencies work in different ways, but they all work to seven agreed quality principles.

Dfid Logo

Funded by the UK Government

ICS is funded by the UK Government's Department for International Development (DFID) which leads the UK’s work to end extreme poverty.

Find out more