D/deaf children and young people in Nandi, Kenya, face a lot of challenges. They’re often prevented from accessing education and employment opportunities. In extreme cases, they’re hidden away by their families.
We’re urgently looking for a team of D/deaf volunteers to help change this.
Most people in Nandi have little interaction with D/deaf people and a limited understanding of deafness.
As a volunteer working with a local deaf school, you’ll break down barriers by:
- Integrating pupils into the community
- Supporting deaf children and their families to learn Kenyan Sign Language (KSL)
- Providing the wider community with deaf role models
Need to know
This programme is designed for D/deaf volunteers.
Applications close on Thursday 31st January 2019.
You don’t need any special skills to volunteer, but you must be:
- Fluent in British Sign Language (BSL)
- Aged between 18-25 for a volunteer role
- Aged 23-35 for a team leader role
- An EU Citizen
- Motivated to help others
- Committed to Fundraising and Action At Home
- Available to spend 12 weeks overseas from June 2019
As well as structured training and support, you’ll receive:
- Travel and medical insurance
- Food and accommodation
- A small allowance during your placement
What about my needs?
ICS is an inclusive programme and we’ll do our best to ensure that your placement is as productive and enjoyable as possible.
It’s important that you’re open in your application about any support you may need.
How to apply?
There are two ways to apply:
- Fill in the online form:
- Alternately, you can use a word doc application form.
Once you have completed this form, please save as an attachment and email to email@example.com. Or you can post this form back to:
ICS Applications, 100 London Road, Kingston-upon-Thames, KT2 6QJ.
- If you prefer, in section 4 of the application form (‘Motivations’), you can upload a BSL recording of yourself to a file-sharing site such as YouTube or Vimeo and share the link in your application form
- To help us assign you to the correct project, please include the project name ‘BDP Nandi’ in section 4
Notes for Team Leader applicants
Team leaders will support and manage a team of volunteers from the UK and Kenya during their placement.
- Team leaders must be aged 23-35
- To apply as a team leader, please use the same application form and select the ‘team leader’ option
- When applying as a team leader you must state your skills and experiences. If you prefer, you can upload a BSL recording of yourself to a file-sharing site such as YouTube or Vimeo and share the link in your application form
For additional support with your application
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org. BSL translations of the online form will be available in the New Year.
The deadline for applications is Thursday 31st January 2019.